RDF Validator accepts unescaped chars in URIs

From: Richard Cyganiak <rcyg@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:35:08 +0200
To: <Jeremy_Carroll@hp.com>, <www-rdf-validator@w3.org>

Hi all,

I noticed that the RDF Validator [1] accepts unescaped characters in URI

The RDF Model and Syntax Spec states [2] that URI references should be
interpreted per RFC2396. The RFC states that many characters must be escaped
when used in URIs [3].

A simple test case:

   <?xml version="1.0"?>
   <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
       rdf:about="http://www.example.org/&lt; &gt;"

The URI in rdf:about contains the chars "<", " " and ">", all of which are
disallowed in URIs and must be URL-encoded.

I think this should be considered a bug. Or am I missing something?

[1] http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#URI-reference
[3] http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2396.txt
    Sections 2 and 4.1