Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:14:53 -0400
Cc: www-rdf-rules@w3.org
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>

On Jun 29, 2005, at 11:36 PM, Michael Kifer wrote:

> Bijan Parsia:
>>
>>> This reminds me of the early days of SQL. Back then people believed
>>> that practitioners will actually understand the semantics *and use
>>> it*.
>>
>> I wonder if Date et al would diagnose things the same way.
>>
>> (Actually, I don't wonder. I so believe :))

Er...I so believe he wouldn't. That was unclear.

> Date was not an inventor of SQL,

I know. He's just rather famous for his screeds against it. E.g., the
third manifesto:
	http://web.onetel.com/~hughdarwen/TheThirdManifesto/

And, of course, the entertaining Fabian Pascal:
	http://www.dbdebunk.com/index.html

> but I don't see why he or any other author
> of a database textbook (myself included!) should be anything but fond
> of SQL.
> After all, its screwy nature helps the bottom line.
>
> But Jim Gray gave a speech at PODS/SIGMOD in 1999 where he said:
> I invented it, and I apologize.

And then Date, "hey, that's not good enough":
	http://web.onetel.com/~hughdarwen/TheThirdManifesto/CJD-on-A-Call-to-
Arms.html

:)

I'll note, for the record, that our vitrol *clearly* doesn't measure up!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.