Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:44:38 -0400
To: bparsia@isr.umd.edu
Cc: www-rdf-rules@w3.org

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> Drew McDermott wrote:
> >
> > One could develop a pretty formal account of how
> > this thing worked, including an account of what inferences were
> > licensed under what circumstances.  But it would have nothing to do
> > with the _semantics_, which could be specified in advance,
> > independently of the details of the inferential mechanisms.
>
> I'll be interested to know if Michael thinks this is a defense of him :)

I think that here by "semantics" Drew means Tarskian-like model theory --
definitions of what is and is not a model. By choosing a subset of
"intended" models one can define entailment relations of various degrees of
hairiness.

This is a standard story of semantics for nonmon inference.
I don't see what you think should upset me here.

I may be misunderstanding either or both of you. :-)

	--michael