Re: DRS guide -- usage scenario ?

On Jan 15, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Drew McDermott wrote:

>> [Bijan Parsia]
>> I think that interesting structured literals can do a fair bit.
>
> I guess I don't know what "literal" means.  What does it mean?  (Just
> point me to the right section of the right technical working group
> recommendation working paper formal normative note.)

Sure.

	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Datatypes
	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#dtype_interp

	http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/syntax.html#2.1
	http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/direct.html#3.1

Interesting use of XMLLiterals, especially, if you want to use XML
schema complex datatypes requires solving:

"""Because there is no standard way to go from a URI reference to an
XML Schema datatype in an XML Schema, there is no standard way to use
user-defined XML Schema datatypes in OWL."""

But I believe Peter has a solution that he in fact proposed to the XML
Schema working group. There's no fundamental technical issue about
complex types, only the standardization of names. If RDF/XMLLiterals
(or RDF/N3 literals) proved of special interest, we could coin uris for
them and ask the community of tool builders to take those into account.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.