RE: [udef.builders] Open Letter to Web Services, Semantics, Semantic Web and On

The following message was posted to the udef.builders mailing list:

Leo, Thanks for the reply. I have copied Ron Schuldt, and the udef.builders@topica.com where we are discussing these very issues currently. If you like, subscribe at udef.builders-subscribe@topica.com and view the archive at http://www.topica.com/lists/udef.builders/read

I agree with much that you said.

We are building wide consensus right now, with all the major players and have many of them interested.

When you refer to using DNS, are you talking about the protocol or the server / propogation network? The ultimate goal for this is a widely distributed (as you note, like DNS) reg/rep scenario, but with some specific semantic identification services (via SOAP and a user interface for domain experts to use in adding to the trees), change management (again, I agree with you on managing change) and other features. I think that outpaces the DNS applications.

The end objective of all this activity is to deliver an open standard. OASIS and others are investigating it, to bring it under the fold of thier legal, collaborative infrastructure , developer and public relations resources. So it definitely won't be proprietary.

Sign up for the list and participate on some pilots. Your company might benefit greatly from being an early adopter / formative force on the standard.

thanks
john

Leo Sauermann <leo@gnowsis.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am developing RDF applications, beeing an experienced programmer, I create some kind of EAI on a personal level (www.gnowsis.com).

I looked at the UDEF website and watched the http://www.udef.org/specdoc/UDEFv1pt02-Jan-2003_files/frame.htm
I am a advocate for the semantic web and want to task some critical questions about UDEF and make some critical points from my point of view, I see some serious architectural flaws here.

For my work I have done some research on Dewey and other categorization systems and think that the UDEF approach will surely fail.

Technically:
========
You said that Dewey is "like DNS". Why don't you use DNS ?
(the answer to this can only be politically motivated, all technical reasons speak for DNS. If you don't agree, you don't know DNS. Do you want to cash-cow companies with this ?)

A successfull implementation of a dewey-similiar-system is the Network Management Protocol used to configure Routers and Switches: SNMP.
But it shows that you will fail:
- its proprietary.
- it works only in the context of a handful of companies, because everybody has to have a numberspace assigned.

Politically
========
try to get the major players on a table and decide on a numbering system.

then manage CHANGES.

Philosophically
===========

RDF and the semantic web is built un the concept of LOCATORS, URL's.
Tim Berners Lee was always opposed to the term URI, which just defines an "Identifier".

Because:
In a few years everything will be on the net and have a URL. We, the semantic web community, will push this movement.
A vision is to bring everything on the net, addressable through an URL and secured through a web of trust.
So every product you talk about, every order, every line in that order, every person, every ship, airplane, UPS parcel, car, pet, family, idea,. .... will be addressable through a URL. most of these things ARE ALREADY on the WEB !
You can see it start today in online shops or amazon. If you identify a book on your website, be honest, do you use ISBN or an URL to amazon ?
This works so well because:
- The institution that creates information has the means (technical) and the responsibility to publish their information on the web. So the creator of information has to provide the identifier. This is like in society, where you as creator name your project UDEF or your son "Frank" or your car "Herbie".

If there is already a URL identifying concepts and physical objects, why have a parallel Identification system ?

NET versus TREE
=============

Tree structures far do not have the possibilities of web structures.

In RDF you classify your information by linking it to other information.
that is, the classification evolves through a web of linking.

f.e.: The term "Person" that is needed in business was first defined in an ontology by the institution wordnet, in about 2000. Then Libby Miller and Dan Brickley from the FOAF group had also a concept of person, and subclassed it from the wordnet identifier (2001?). I myself do a work where, surely, are persons in my data space. (2003)
So I subclass of FOAF or Wordnet. I use Wordnet, because I create a wrapper for MS-Outlook.

-> What happens is that the most prominent identifiers are used very often and spread. The wordnet term was there first and it was good, was advertised, and so it spread and becomes a standard because we developers use it. Everything is created distributed and then interweaved through links like owl:sameIndividualAs and similiar.

To illustrate this, you have to think about Darwin's theory of evolution: many different terms are created.
then our "pop" and Internet culture happens: the top 3 movies (or cars, or company, or everything) are 10 times more popular than the rest in the top 10.

All these effects have been widely discussed in the scientific community and are accepted.

THIS WORKS.

Now look what UDEF says:

======================

1. Identify the applicable UDEF property word that characterizes the dominant attribute (property) of the data element concept. For example, Name, Identifier, Date, etc.

2.
Identify the dominant UDEF object word that the dominant property (selected in step 1) is describing. For example, Person_Name, Product_Identifier, Document_Date, etc.

3.
By reviewing the UDEF tree for the selected property identified in step 1, identify applicable qualifiers that are necessary to unambiguously describe the property word
term. For example, Last Name

4.
By reviewing the UDEF tree for the selected object identified in step 2, identify applicable qualifiers that are necessary to unambiguously describe the object word
term. For example, Customer Person

5.
Concatenate the object term and the property term to create a UDEF naming convention compliant name where it is recognized that the name may seem artificially
long. For example, Customer Person Last Name

6.
List common synonyms or business terms used within the context of a given industry.
7.
Derive an intelligent UID based on the UDEF taxonomy that carries the UDEF inherited indexing scheme. For example <CustomerPersonLastName UID=“as.5_5.10”>

This is by far not that elegant as the semantic Web. This is semantic Tree. Tree != Web.

It is childish to think that all humans involved in the Knowledge Management process of a company will to these 7 steps and not fail. Step 1 involves decision that are not deterministic, everybody interprets the root terms differently, have you ever talked with some social scientist or philosopher about this ? I have, they ripped me apart and it was shaming how nifty they do it.

So, whats the point in UDEF ?

Why don't you hop on the semantic web wagon :-)

regards,
Leo Sauermann
www.gnowsis.com

as attachement is a fragment of a paper I write, a vision of myself about the future of the semantic web, to illustrate the way I am heading.