Re: Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) 0.5 released

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:41:01 +0100
To: "Mike Dean <mdean" <mdean@bbn.com>
Cc: daml-all@daml.org, joint-committee@daml.org, seweb-list@www1-c703.uibk.ac.at, www-rdf-logic@w3.org, www-rdf-rules@w3.org, www-rdf-rules-request@w3.org

MikeD:
> The Joint US/EU ad hoc Agent Markup Language Committee [1]
> is pleased to announce the initial release [2] of SWRL:  A
> Semantic Web Rule Language Combining OWL and RuleML.
>
> Please direct comments to www-rdf-rules@w3.org.
>
>            Mike
>
> [1] http://www.daml.org/committee/
>
> [2] http://www.daml.org/2003/11/swrl/

I had a look at example611 i.e.

##########################
[]    a       ruleml:Imp ;
      ruleml:body ([ a       ruleml:individualPropertyAtom ;
                  ruleml:argument1 :x1 ;
                  ruleml:argument2 :x2 ;
                  ruleml:propertyPredicate
                          <http://example.org/eg#hasParent>
                ] [ a       ruleml:individualPropertyAtom ;
                  ruleml:argument1 :x2 ;
                  ruleml:argument2 :x3 ;
                  ruleml:propertyPredicate
                          <http://example.org/eg#hasSibling>
                ] [ a       ruleml:individualPropertyAtom ;
                  ruleml:argument1 :x3 ;
                  ruleml:argument2 :male ;
                  ruleml:propertyPredicate
                          <http://example.org/eg#hasSex>
                ]) ;
      ruleml:head ([ a       ruleml:individualPropertyAtom ;
                  ruleml:argument1 :x1 ;
                  ruleml:argument2 :x3 ;
                  ruleml:propertyPredicate
                          <http://example.org/eg#hasUncle>
                ]) .

:x3   a       ruleml:Variable .

:x2   a       ruleml:Variable .

:x1   a       ruleml:Variable .

which is a flat RDF graph.

On the other hand I'm used to describe
that rule as a nested RDF formula

###
{?X :hasParent ?Y. ?Y :hasSibling ?Z. ?Z :hasSex :male} => (?X :hasUncle
?Z).
###

which is of course a matter of how we describe things :)