Re: plain rules, please [was: Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) 0.5 released]

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:20:40 -0800
Cc: www-rdf-rules@w3.org
To: Drew McDermott <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>

On Wednesday, November 26, 2003, at 10:57  AM, Drew McDermott wrote:

>    [Bijan Parsia]
>    Of course, given the increasing recognition that Deduction is
> Evil(tm)
>    or, at least, that Deduction is Silly and Pointless(r), the former
>    properties might not be so nice.
>
> Deduction is wonderful.  Unification is wonderful, too.  I _love_ this
> stuff.  But who in the world thinks it's a paradigm that subsumes
> most reasoning tasks, or even a plurality?

Who indeed. Isn't that the question? But who on earth thought that
syllogystic reasoning covered much, if anything, interesting? And yet
we stand accused :)

[snipped some argument I keep writing but not sending; I'm finding
crystalizing my reply being very much not satisfactory :( except that
Shirky seems to be arguing, if against anything, against formality and,
you in so far as I can read your computation vs. deduction paragraph as
a half-agreement with Shirky, seem to agree, but I know that's wrong :)]

> P.S. Evil or silly?  Evil or silly?  So hard to choose....  Maybe I
> should warm up by sorting out this evil-or-silly issue with respect to
> Arnold Schwarzenegger first.

That's easy: He's both :) Indeed, that characterizes his entire career!

> By the way, Happy Thanksgiving to all who understand what "Happy
> Thanksgiving" means!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.