RE: Rules WG -- draft charter -- NAF

From: Wagner, G.R. <G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:36:22 +0100
To: "Jim Hendler" <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Cc: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>

> WOWG looked for a way to do this, and realized we would not be able to do it --
> I don't see why the rules group would expect success

I don't see why the rules group should fail only because WOWG has failed
to do this.

WOWG could afford to fail here, because the issue at stake was not
essential for the WOWG folks/mission, but for web rules this issue
is essential!

> unless they could start from an existing solution -- and I've seen
> no proposal with a solution that seems workable.

But obviously there are (partial?) solutions, such as in N3/cwm and
in Buchingae/Bossam.

And Benjamin and Drew have made a clear point that a semantic web
query and rules processor does need a well-defined scope of the
underlying knowledge base, so the concepts of closure/failure
are applicable.

-Gerd

Gerd Wagner
http://tmitwww.tm.tue.nl/staff/gwagner/