RE: Towards an RDF Query standard: some proposed minimum requirements

From: Wagner, G.R. <G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:04:55 +0100
To: "Patrick Stickler (NMP-MSW/Tampere)" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>

> The first distinction is between discovery versus submission. I.e.
> between pull versus push.

We should not follow the abuse of language that has arisen
from subsuming three sublanguages (a schema definition
language, a data manipulation/change language, and a query
language) under the "query language" SQL. Not everything
is a query!  E.g., in some DBMS products, such as Microsoft
Access, a CREATE TABLE statement is called a "data definition
query", which sounds very funny.

Clearly, what you refer to by "push" are not (data retrieval)
queries in the propor sense, but change operations/requests,
so they should not be covered in the RDF query WG.

-Gerd

Gerd Wagner
http://tmitwww.tm.tue.nl/staff/gwagner/
Dep. Information & Technology