Re: RDF Query -- possible WG charter draft for discussion

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:13:40 +0200
To: jo walsh <jo@abduction.org>
Cc: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>

On 2003-11-10 13:32, "ext jo walsh" <jo@abduction.org> wrote:

> hello,
>
>> Here are a few requirements that I would expect to see spelled out
>> explicitly in the charter, which were not so in the draft:
>> 2. All implementations must support at least all of the pre-defined XML
>>    Schema simple datatypes.
>>
>> 3. Query results should be, by default, returned as RDF/XML, even if other
>>    forms of representation are made available by particular implementations.
>
> forgive any obvious stupidity from someone not deeply involved in the
> process but i don't see the connection, utility or necessity that puts
> these two 'requirements' at the start of an RDF query/rule language
> standard effort. i feel wary of tight coupling to XML concepts in this
> domain...
>
> that doesn't even amount to 2cents does it :/...

I could see #2 being lessened to strong consideration and recommendation
for implementations, rather than a hard requirement.

But I think #3, for an RDF Query solution, is pretty reasonable, though
it could perhaps be phrased more generically as "results by default should
be returned in a standardized RDF serialization".

Patrick