Re: Is n3 a rules language or a logic language?

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:15:47 -0400
To: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
To: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>; <timbl@w3.org>

> My conclusion is this: we can treat log:implies as either creating an
> inference rule ( |- ) or as the material conditional ( -> ); from the
> outside no one will be able to tell the difference.

I agree.  When the inferences made are tarnslated back into RDF
and published, they are the same.

Different logical systems
may import them as axioms or as ground facts using some
implication operator.   This makes a lot of difference for the
logic "inside", and may in practice limit which of the
allowable inferences a system actually finds.

Tim