DQL semantics (fwd)

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:31:22 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>
cc: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>, Richard Fikes <fikes@ksl.stanford.edu>, Sergio Tessaris <tessaris@cs.man.ac.uk>

Forwarded with permission (and 'this is a draft' disclaimers) from the
DAML Joint Committee mailing list.
See archives at http://www.daml.org/listarchive/joint-committee/ for more
context. As I understand it, the DQL proposals are similar to simple
conjunctive RDF query languages, with the added and more explicit
expectation that the Web service (or whatever) which answers the query
will exhibit an understanding of the semantics of DAML+OIL. That said,
I've not digested Ian's paper yet; my comments come from lurking on the
DAML list, for the most part.

I wonder how it deals with datatypes. Ian, could you comment? ie. would it
be possible to use DQL as proposed to find (say) events between certain
dates. If not, would such an extension be prohibtively costly?

cheers,

Dan

ps. I get a bit confused about the various "DQL" messages; is there a DQL
page that tracks the state of discussion?
http://www.google.com/search?q=daml%20dql doesn't find anything that looks
very authoritative. A page on daml.org would be great...