Re: what is the meaning of the RDF model theory?

From: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

> I agree, sure. But there are no such ways in RDF, as the model theory
> makes clear. (There are in DAML+OIL, which has a more complicated
> semantics to go with its more complicated syntax.)

Well it seems we are arguing over what 'in RDF' means.  In another post you
said:

   Saying that some meaning is "in L", where L is some formal language
   with a formal semantics,  is usually taken to mean that that meaning is
   accessible to an engine that knows (only)  the semantic rules of L.
   You ought to be able to figure out the meaning from the L-expressions
    plus what you can learn from reading the L manual. If you need to go
    beyond what it says in the L manual  to figure out the meaning, it's not
"in L".

But can't can define in RDF how to define?  Then won't we be able to define
new conepts in our language?   If we can do this, then one cannot stand up
and keep saying that anyting that is said in RDF syntax and vocabulary is
not truly in RDF ... can they?     It seems to me that you are painting us
into a impractical situation.  I mean  thinking that whenever we coin a new
word in English, we are speaking a new language is not going to be a winning
idea.

Now maybe that is just what formal languages do ... well fine for formal
languages.  Maybe what we are saying is that RDF is the worlds first
quasiformal language ... it has some of the properties of a formal language
and also some of the properties of a natural language.

In any case .... please, please ... let's not cut its balls off !!!

Seth Russell