Re: How do RDF and Formal Logic fit together?

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:11:49 -0700
To: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>, <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
From: "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>

> Why use a logic language instead of, say, Java byte code?  Java (as
> slow as it is!) would certainly run faster.  My guess is that the
> right thing to do is both.  Provide a logical formula which constrains
> the behavior of a program, and allow any program to be run which is
> proven (or claimed, in some circumstances) to meet those constraints.
> Trivial programs, like date validation, could probably be handled by
> an automated theorem prover.  More complex ones written in a
> conventional language and proven compliant with machine assistance.
> But perhaps now I'm off in never-never land.

That might be an interesting train of thought.  There is nothing that
prevents RDF graphs from including (and\or referencing) programs.  If we
develope this as a language, then we can make a graph become a dynamic thing
that could be said to have behavior.   The basic perdicament could be given
by something like:

http://robustai.net/mentography/interpertation.gif
... and a more detailed example
http://robustai.net/mentography/interpertation2.gif

... here is shown an algorithm coded in RDF
http://robustai.net/mentography/positiveInteger.gif
... another one showing the relationship between price of gold and the
script to determing it
http://robustai.net/mentography/PriceOfGold.gif

The ~meaning~ of an RDF graph could then be said to be the behavior it
entails :)

Seth Russell