Re: what is the meaning of the RDF model theory?

>From: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>
>>  I agree, sure. But there are no such ways in RDF, as the model theory
>>  makes clear. (There are in DAML+OIL, which has a more complicated
>>  semantics to go with its more complicated syntax.)
>
>Well it seems we are arguing over what 'in RDF' means.  In another post you
>said:
>
>    Saying that some meaning is "in L", where L is some formal language
>    with a formal semantics,  is usually taken to mean that that meaning is
>    accessible to an engine that knows (only)  the semantic rules of L.
>    You ought to be able to figure out the meaning from the L-expressions
>     plus what you can learn from reading the L manual. If you need to go
>     beyond what it says in the L manual  to figure out the meaning, it's not
>"in L".
>
>But can't can define in RDF how to define?

Right, we can't. RDF is really a very small, restricted language with
limited expressive powers. RDFS has some more, DAML+OIL has more
still, and full FOL has more, and KIF has even more. And there are
things that cannot be said in any of these, but can be said in, say,
LISP.

>Then won't we be able to define
>new conepts in our language?

You can do that in RDFS and up. But defining is one thing; defining
HOW TO define is something altogether hairier.

>  If we can do this, then one cannot stand up
>and keep saying that anyting that is said in RDF syntax and vocabulary is
>not truly in RDF ... can they?     It seems to me that you are painting us
>into a impractical situation.  I mean  thinking that whenever we coin a new
>word in English, we are speaking a new language is not going to be a winning
>idea.

On the contrary, that is exactly the idea that you have to get used
to; because if you coin a new word, then indeed the language has
changed as far as any mechanical processor is concerned.

>Now maybe that is just what formal languages do ... well fine for formal
>languages.  Maybe what we are saying is that RDF is the worlds first
>quasiformal language ... it has some of the properties of a formal language
>and also some of the properties of a natural language.

RDF is not the worlds first anything. It is existential-conjunctive
logic restricted to binary relations, period. It has almost none of
the properties of natural language, and the sooner that everyone gets
this clear, the better, because then we can have some sensible
discussions.

>In any case .... please, please ... let's not cut its balls off !!!

It doesn't have any balls. If you can tell us how to grow some, that
might be more use.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes