Re: Scope

ok, I know there are loads of people with their own interesting query
languages for RDF (cf SWWS query bof,
http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/08/rdfquery-bof/, but I would really like
to get some discussion going about query languages, so I'll start:

I've been using a simple implementation of a simple query language
called SquishQL based on Guha's RDFdb ql to try out a lot of demos to
see if we can do useful things with it.
It is pretty similar to Pat's idea of an rdf graph with a question
mark after it, but has it's own SQL-ish syntax, that's supposed to be
fairly human-readable.

It's basically a graph-matching model of a list of triples, plus some
filters like '~' '>' '=' on the resultset. It returns a table of
bindings using JDBC APIs, as it's written in java. It has no special
schema-related syntax or optimisations, and it does not do transitive
closure. It works over lots of different databases.

Despite its simplicity, I've found you can do plenty of things with
it. I've done demos of calendar data, people data, schemas data...and so
on (see urls below). Recently I've been working with Dan Brickley on
creating a SOAP interface which uses the query format and resultset
(which it turned out to be very amenable to), and also with Andy
Seaborne looking at the similarities between RDQL and SquishQL.

SquishQL:
http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/rdfquery/

Calendar demo:
http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2001/07/swws/