From: Sw-MetaPortal-ProjectParadigm <metadataportals@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Use of Content Management Systems, ranking and usage in Semantic Web
To: paola.dimaio@gmail.com
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2008, 3:21 PM

Dear Paola,

As a mathematician I am relatively new to the field of Semantic Web technology, but having a deeply ingrained interest in anything related to "reality modeling" (e.g. quantum reality) and knowledge modeling I am convinced that a "one size fits all" approach will not work.

If we just stick to the general fields of science and technology we will encounter dozens of clusters of interrelated disciplines with sometimes common but more often slightly different fields of formal and informal concepts, definitions, theories, terminology and bodies of work derived from these.

For our global project we have been forced to survey various fields and ascertain the state of the art in Semantic Web technology development and implementation, and most importantly the standards developed for the respective fields.

What we have seen so far
 is that the health sciences field in particular yields some of the most promising approaches in getting to what is a unifying common denominator set of tools to start out with.

In particular the approach used in the OpenEHR (www.openehr.org), based on archetypes and templates is the closest thing we have seen to a knowledge modeling paradigm in which a restricted language domain is used.

For those familiar with natural language processing and formal logic systems for linguistic research, the archetype/template approach is a novel approach, and actually more related to the fields of cognitive science and psychology.

To get back to the issue at hand, as I have pointed out earlier in personal emails to various subscribers to W3 lists, templates are a promising field of research, in that the archetype and templates represent excellent atomic or primal concepts to start out with in knowledge and reality modeling, which are at the heart
 of semantic web technology.

The OpenEHR initiative realized that archetypes and templates are the way to go, and their work deserves more attention in the sense that a generalization of archetypes and templates needs to be investigated.

If we just look at two required ingredients for the success of semantic web technologies, browser and search engine capabilities for handling semantic content, we will see that archetypes and templates are actually a very good hands-on approach to dealing with information extraction and formatting.

Too much effort in the field of the semantic web goes in trying to create a single uniform approach with monolithic technologies that ignore the reality that humanity is divided by cultural and historical heritage, language and other societal factors, which become most acute in the bodies of work laid down in written language.

Archetypes and templates are a clever way of getting around a lot of the
 problems and yes you may not be far off at all that "reasoning parsers" for browsers and search engines may just be a way to get around of the problems.

As web users we "personalize" our web pages in domains like MySpace, Facebook, Yahoo, Hotmail, on professional web sites etc.

Why not personalize our browsers and the search engines we use by having them use "reasoning parsers" to extract the information we need?

Now here comes the mind blowing part!!! We can set up web pages by tagging them in some way to be processed for information extraction and semantic content generation in such a way that digital repositories on the web will actually identify these sites as part of a "vernacular" form belonging to a particular category using ontologies out of a particular "language group" (the Yahoo Category versus the Google Brute Force approach to indexing information).

Thus we acknowledge the fact that we live in a Babylonian
 language confusion dominated world, yet are still able to make sense of it all, in the way intended by the creators of the Semantic Web.

Templates and archetypes are fresh ideas and using reasoning parsers that can pick up which vernacular from which language domain group is being used may prove very useful!

In such a context the question if RDF can be useful in outputting triples that make sense can be rephrased to how we output triples that make sense in predefined vernaculars or language domains (language here not being the linguistic, but the field of scientific discipline /technology type).

We submitted an idea Project 10 to the 100 at Google in which we outlined using "tag-templates for semantic content detection and information extraction purposes" and it is funny to see that Yahoo and Microsoft are jointly working on "category based Semantic Web Search".

They must be on to something!

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297
 747 8280
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
www.rainbowwarriors.net
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide
www.projectparadigm.info
NGO-Opensource: Creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide for Project Paradigm
www.ngo-opensource.org
MetaPortal: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
www.metaportal.info
SemanticWebSoftware, part of NGO-Opensource to enable SW technologies in the Metaportal project
www.semanticwebsoftware.org

--- On Thu, 11/13/08, paola.dimaio@gmail.com <paola.dimaio@gmail.com>