Cyc Upper Ontology

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@PioneerCA.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:26:55 -0800
To: "Semantic Web at W3C" <semantic-web@w3.org>, "OWL at W3C" <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Cc: "John De Oliveira" <johndcyc@gmail.com>, "Rob McCool" <robm@robm.com>

The mKR version is now available on my web site
    http://mKRmKE.net/knowledge/cyc/UpperOntology.mkr
Feel free to peruse it with your internet browser -- it's
actually quite readable.

Of course, the easiest way to look at the Cyc Upper Ontology
is to use myKnowledgeExplorer
    ke -cyc
but don't expect to find your everyday concepts at your
fingertips.  The Cyc knowledge base is filled with "strange"
concepts which play a key role in its common-sense reasoning.
For example, here's the top layer of concepts.
$ ke -cyc
ke$ Thing isc ?;
Thing
/  Class
/  CycLQuery
/  CycLTerm
/  DocumentationConstant
/  ELSentence-Assertible
/  ELTemplate
/  ELVariable
/  IndexicalConcept
/  Individual
/  Intangible
/  Microtheory
/  PartiallyIntangible
/  PartiallyTangible
/  Path-Generic
/  PathSystem
/  ReformulatorHighlyRelevantFORT
/  ReformulatorIrrelevantFORT
/  Relation
/  SetOrCollection
/  SubLSymbol
/  TangibleThing
/  TheTerm
ke$

Another caveat -- there are lots of infinite loops in the
concept hierarchy (just try "Thing isc* ?;").
I will probably replace the official Cyc structure with
 my "Class is the set of class names" structure.

Dick McCullough
knowledge haspart proposition list;
http://mKRmKE.org/