Beginner question: How to describe a subgraphs structure?

From: Stéphane Monteil <stephane@engineering-studio.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:31:07 +0200
To: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

Hi all,

I am a beginner with semantic web languages and my question is probably
basic. Yet, I have not found a clear answer through the W3C documents I read
so far.

I would like to describe a graph (a set of triples) as a subject (a
resource) by itself, and so on for a set of subgraphs.
To express it differently, in my graphs some of the nodes could contain
(reference) another graph.

1) Is it a consistent approach from a formal representation point of view?
2) Is it possible to represent that directly with RDF or any other
standardized language (OWL, etc.)?

My objective is to be able to consider a composite content of subjects as a
subject by itself. The real world application could be for example to be
able to manage a collection of pictures related to a specific event. Each
picture is a subject (with several predicate - objects) and the grouping
event is a higher level subject itself that can have semantic properties.

Remark: The RDF Graph Modeling Language (RGML) seems to propose a kind of
formal solution, but it does not look standardized and I would prefer to
stay within something generic (ie: a graph can be a node).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stephane Monteil

Email:    stephane@engineering-studio.com
Web site: http://www.engineering-studio.com