Re: Mixed Object and Object Properties Hierarchies

Dear Pierre-Antoine,

I want to thank you personally for your reaction. Maybe I have to post my
question somewhere else, because it's about the theory behind OWL (or
DAML+OIL). Please correct me in that case.

Rephrasing: The question is: "Why does OWL - with many other ontologies -
preserve such a strict separation between the object and relation
hierarchies?" It appears that Sowa does the same in his conceptual graphs
and also in Cyc the two are kept distinct.

Context: I'm building a framework for linguists (in a rather specific
modality). These linguists should be able to use semantic relationships of
their own, so this prevents me from using predefined ISA hierarchies etcetera.

Examples: You are right that a relation exists between two or more objects.
However, a verb can also be seen as a relation between several objects (in
for example Case Grammar). The number 4 can be seen as a concept or as a
procedure of iteration. A plane as a concept or as a product of (relation
between) two vectors. It is rather general to handle a relation like a
normal concept, but that is what I want to do.
I do not know the objections that underly the decission of OWL or DAML+OIL
to keep the "property" and "object" hierarchies distinct. Which literature
about OWL or its predecessors handles this material?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andy