Re: Help needed. Isn't this OWL document inconsistent?

--- Mekan Ikzain <mekanikzain@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the comment!
> Here're what I have learned so far.
>
> 1) Unsatisfiable concepts in an OWL document do not
> make the document
> inconsistent.
> 2) If an instance of any unsatisfiable concept is
> introduced into the
> document, the document becomes inconsistent.
>
> Well, any error in the statements?

That's right. However, it's not the complete picture,
it's a little trickier :)

A better way to look at it is: an unsatisfiable
concept cannot have any individuals (in general, a
class is a set of individuals, and an unsatisfiable
class is an empty set). Like in your first MadCow
example, all the axioms in the ontology cause the
class MadCow to *not* possibly have any individuals
because of the contradictory definition of the class
MadCow. However, note that the axioms in the ontology
still hold, i.e., each of them can be made
individually true.

However, an ontology is inconsistent when the axioms
in the ontology itself cannot hold. For example,
suppose I incorrectly define a class Person as:
--
Person
  owl:equivalentTo

Thus, as you can see in the example above, you don't
need an individual to get an inconsistent ontology.
(though now you can probably see why adding an axiom
which asserts that an individual belongs to an
unsatisfiable class, makes the ontology inconsistent.)

Hope this helps,
Aditya