ISO 15926-2 definition of owl:Class

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@volcano.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:44:10 -0700
To: "OWL at W3C" <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, "semantic-web at W3C" <semantic-web@w3c.org>
Cc: "KR-language" <KR-language@YahooGroups.com>

Hans Teijgeler has done an excellent job of describing owl:Class.
Here is a short excerpt from the ISO standard.

    http://rhm.cdepot.net/knowledge/applications/SemanticWeb/ISO/iso.Class.rdf

Here is the MKR translation of iso.Class.rdf,  including all the comments.
(The best information is in the comments.)

    http://rhm.cdepot.net/knowledge/applications/SemanticWeb/ISO/iso.Class.mkr

iso.Class.mkr pinpoints what I don't like about owl:Class.
In particular, I do not like the
     "non-wellfounded set theory"  #12
and its consequences
    Class isu Class;  # 1, 13
    Class isu anotherClass;  # 14

Stated a little differently, the consequences are
    infinite loops in the OWL ontology
    "strange things" which are both Individuals and Classes

Here is a brief summary of my previous proposals
to get rid of the infinite loops and "strange things".
1. Get rid of  "Class"; replace it with "ClassSet",
which is the set of all Classes.
Get rid of "Individual"; replace it with "IndividualSet",
which is the set of all Individuals.
2. Define the meaning of
    <Class  rdf:id = "myclass"/>
to be
    myclass is a member of the set ClassSet
3. Define the meaning of
    <myindividual rdf:type = "myclass"/>
to be
    myindividual is a member of the set IndividualSet
    myindividual is an instance of myclass

Please accept my proposal, and return to the world
of wellfounded set theory.

Dick McCullough
knowledge haspart proposition list;
http://rhm.cdepot.net/