Re: mapping FOL -> DL

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:03:54 +0100
To: Bill Andersen <andersen@ontologyworks.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

At 10:58 28/09/04 -0400, Bill Andersen wrote:
>On Sep 28, 2004, at 5:55 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>

>>Er, I may just be repeating an obvious reference but, just in case, I'll
>>mention Alex Borgida's 1996 paper "On the Relative Expressiveness of
>>Description Logics and Predicate Logics", which makes its point by
>>setting up a translation:
>>   ftp://ftp.cs.rutgers.edu/pub/borgida/dl-vs-fol.pdf.gz
>>
>>#g
>
>Graham,
>
>Isn't the question here how to take an arbitrary FOL theory and "make the
>best of it" in OWL?  Alex's paper (if memory serves) gave the translation
>from some DL or other *into* FOL, not the other way around.

Bill,

I believe it covers both; cf. the development of Theorem 3 in section 4.

I'm not sure what it means to "make the best of" an FOL formula that cannot
be translated into OWL.  Though I can imagine scenarios, such as
partitioning the inference task at hand.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact