Re: Inferring Class Membership w/o OWL Full?

>On May 7, Pat Hayes writes:
>>
>>  >For those who didn't follow the debates on the webont mailing list, I
>>  >should perhaps draw your attention to the sad history of Pat's morbid
>>  >obsession with DLs. I had hoped that having recognised the problem [1]
>>  >(the first and hardest step) he would by now be well on the road to
>>  >recovery. Sadly, it would appear that this is not the case. In fact
>>  >this is not Pat's first relapse [2], so perhaps we shouldn't be
>>  >surprised.
>>  >
>>  >Ian
>>  >
>>  >[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Sep/0411.html
>>  >[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0092.html
>>
>>  Perhaps also not uncharacteristically, Ian manages to simultaneously
>>  be insulting, offensively ad-hominem and to mislead the unwary
>>  reader.  The acknowledgement in [1] was to a completely unrelated
>>  misunderstanding arising in part from my reaction to an extended
>>  series of memoranda claiming to show that (what is now called)
>>  OWL-Full was impossible, by a specious reference to the set-theoretic
>>  paradoxes, but also in part, I concede, from my own ignorance of DL
>>  metatheory at that time. The opinions I expressed in [2] are
>>  unrelated to [1] , are not a 'relapse' - to acknowledge that DLs are
>>  a subset of FOL is not to endorse the basing of the entire SW effort
>>  on that subset - and I still hold them, and will continue to hold
>>  them.
>>
>>  I won't react to such jibes in future, but the record should be
>>set straight.
>
>Strangely enough, that is exactly what I told myself when I read your
>initial email.
>
>The point I was trying to make with my [witty banter|vile character
>assassination]* is that, amusing though your ritual DL bashing is, it
>obscures the fact that the restriction being discussed here, i.e., not
>being able to create a subPropertyOf rdf:type, is nothing to do with
>DLs per se, but is required in order to keep the language inside what
>I think we agreed to call "conventional" FOL.

I disagree. rdf:type is simply a binary relation. It happens to be
related to the operation of unary predication in a systematic way,
which can be expressed in SCL-FOL (though not using a syntax that you
would honor with the term 'conventional') by the axiom

(iff (rdf:type x y)  (y x) )

and in a more conventional syntax by the axiom

(rdf:type x y) iff (holds y x)

but the special nature of this axiom does not affect the fact that
rdf:type is a binary relation. To amplify the point, the operation of
creating a subproperty of rdf:type is quite meaningful and has some
obvious first-order consequences, such as (using SCL notation and
omitting universal quantifiers)

(iff (rdf:type x y)  (y x) )  ...1 (RDF axiom)
(subProperty foo rdf:type)  ...2
(implies (subProperty x y) (implies (x z u) (y z u)))  ....3 (RDFS axiom)
(foo thing class)  ...4
|=
(class thing)

proof:
(implies (foo z u) (rdf:type z u) )  ....5 (3, UInstance; 2, Modus Ponens)
(rdf:type thing class)  ...6 (5, Uinstance; 4, Modus Ponens)
(class thing)  (1, conj; Uinstance; 6, Modus Ponens)

Or you could derive it by unit resolution once the implications and
iff were translated into clauses in the usual way. The only thing
unconventional about this is that it systematically suppresses the
'holds' relation by allowing variables to occur in predicate
position, which does not significantly affect any of the FO
metatheory.

My 'DL police' [witty banter|vile character assassination]* was a
reference to the fact that OWL-DL (hence the "DL") has been
thoroughly checked and constrained so as to not permit a range of
modes of expression, and that if something appears to be
syntactically illegal by virtue of these rules, the chances of one
being able to wriggle past the constraints by some superficial
transformations, as Stephen had suggested, are vanishingly low. This
remark was in part a testament to the thoroughness of the job done by
you and Peter in defining the OWL-DL syntactic conditions, in fact.
As you point out, not all these restrictions arise from the need for
OWL-DL to be a description logic. Nevertheless, for whatever reason,
they have been imposed on the language, and I do not think it is
misleading to imply that they were imposed largely at the behest of
those who were most enthusiastic about DLs.

>In fact separating the
>syntax of the language from the domain of discourse is fundamental to
>most logics.

I agree; however, this has nothing to do with the topic. The point is
that there can be systematic alternative representations of the same
fact within a single syntax. This is an elementary truism about
logics of any reasonable expressivity, and is one of the reasons we
have notions like "normal form".

Pat