Re: Concrete and abstract domains disjointness

Dimitrios A. Koutsomitropoulos wrote:

> Can somebody explain some formal reason why the concrete and abstract
> domains (i.e. the datatype and individual sets) have to be disjoint in OWL
> DL?

I think in addition to the other postings, I would suggest procedural
reasons. Those who like this separation could point to implementations
(both real and theoretical algorithms) based on this idea, and had the
advantage that Daml+OIL has this separation. Anyone wishing to challenge
that really needed to point to working systems, with academic
creditionals, that was as credible. I don't think this point was
seriously challenged.
Politically, those who were most likely to want to challenge this
separation were happy enough with OWL Full.

The point of deliberately ignoring your request for *formal* reasons, is
that any such reasons will be the views of some (but not all) of the WG.
OWL was determined using a process, which was (roughly) to take DAML+OIL
and raise issues against it. IIRC this issue was not (formally) raised,
so the separation is in OWL because it was in DAML+OIL (not for
technical reasons)

Jeremy