Re: Universal Quantification

From: Stephen Rhoads <rhoadsnyc@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 18:54:26 -0400
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

> (If you have no kids, are all your children graduates of Yale? In
> English you can say that is a dumb question, but logic has to say
> either yes or no, and yes makes more sense than no does, because if
> you say no then it would follow that one of your kids wasn't a Yale
> graduate, but you have no kids...)

Let me see if I understand.  In the above case, you would need an
allValuesFrom(hasChild, YaleGraduate) *and* a minCardinality 1.

And if I didn't have a minCardinality 1?  Any instance *is* a
"ParentOfOnlyYaleGraduates", or any instance *could be* a
"ParentOfOnlyYaleGraduates" -- in other words, it's not precluded.

> If that didn't help, forget it.

Don't give up on me so easy!  ;-)