Re: Strategies for inference over lists of values

At 08:48 08/03/04 +0000, Jeff Z. Pan wrote:

>Hi Graham,
>
> > One of the reasons I asked this question was that I have been trying
> > combine some datatype-specific deductions (integer arithmetic)
>expressed in
> > a scheme [1] inspired by the Pan/Horrocks paper [2], with
>collections
> > (lists) of data which are antecedent facts for the desired composite
>rule
> > of deduction.  I am finding that it is surprisingly awkward to use
>the
> > generalized restriction for this purpose, and think that I am
>probably
> > missing a trick here.
>
>I am not sure I get your point here. Could you give an example to show
>why it is hard to use the generalised restriction please?

Jeff,

There are two examples in my previous message at:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2004Feb/0045.html
for which Jos has provided quite straightforward Euler solutions in:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2004Feb/0046.html
using a conventional rule form with special properties, ala CWM.

These examples don't, of themselves, show why it's hard to use the
generalised restriction.  But they are examples for which I haven't figured
out an easy way to use it.

#g
--