Re: about Individual

From: Drew McDermott <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:49:09 -0500 (EST)
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

> [Linus Yeung]
> i would like to ask is it an individual always look like below?
>
> <University>
>     <hasDepartment ........../>
>     <hasStudent................/>
> </University>
>

> will it look like below?
>
> <University>
>     <hasDepartment........CS />
>          <CS>
>               <hasCourse................/>
>          </CS>
>     <hasStudent.................../>
> </University>

I found this confusing at first, too.  The answer is that the notation
for describing individuals is a matter for RDF, not OWL.  You can
write

<Description rdf:about="URL_of_individual">
   <rdf:type rdf:resource="&myont;University"/>
</Description>

which can be abbreviated

<University rdf:about="URL_of_individual"/>

> Besides, i would also want to ask what is the role of the individual
> which is written inside the ontology?

An individual who appears in an ontology must play some distinct role
that most individuals don't.  In a monotheistic ontology, #God might
get mentioned.  In a polytheistic ontology, there might be no
individuals mentioned.

> why dont all individual to be written inside the html page?

I don't know what that means.

> Moreover, what is the function of enumeration?

To define a finite, smallish, class.

> if we create an individual of a classDescriptions, then is it necessary to put it into the enumeration? if it is, why?

Which enumeration?

--
                                             -- Drew McDermott
                                                Yale University CS Dept.