Negation (reprise?)

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:13:44 +0100
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

The excerpt below comes from a Haskell language mailing list.  I have no
idea (yet) what it precisely means, but seeing the term "type negation",
and having noticed that Haskell (Hindley-Milner) type inherence problems
seem to have similarities with more general inference Semantic Web
problems, I wondered if there was anything here that might inform handling
of negation in Semantic Web systems...

Yes, I think this is the right way to go. If you look at work by Power,
Thielecke and Streicher on continuations [*], you will find that they model
type negation as a self-adjoint functor on a closed premonoidal category,
and IIRC a closed premonoidal category is equivalent to a thing called a
closed kappa-category with a computational monad on it. The
self-adjointness corresponds to the involutivity of negation.

The full message, with some references, is here:

Graham Klyne
For email: