Re: Abstract Classes

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:11:16 -0500
To: rdf-logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

Eric Jain wrote:

>>If x is an element of set S, it's pointless to try to
>>find a set S' such that x elt S' and S' subset S.
>>

>I guess there isn't a way to state that every x that is an element of
>set S must also belong to any subset of S?

That condition is impossible to fulfil,  because for any subset of S
that contains x, you can form another subset of S  that does not contain
it just by removing x from the members.

>Perhaps I could use owl:unionOf to explicitely lists all subclasses of
>S, but this is not a very satisfactory solution...

That would only be feasible for small sets (did you mean "set" of
"class" here?).  Maybe  you could explain what you are actually trying
to accomplish here - it can probably be done some other way. Your
description does not make sense, and I suspect it does not reflect what
you are really after.

Cheers,

Tom P