Dublin Core properties in OWL ontologies

From: Pete Johnston <p.johnston@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:16:04 +0100
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

Hello,

I'm something of a newcomer to the world of OWL, so apologies in advance
if this is an FAQ.

I'm wondering about the use of Dublin Core properties as
ObjectProperties in OWL ontologies, but I have a feeling that the use of
DC as OWL Annotation Properties (and/or DC's fuzziness about the
rdfs:range of its properties?) essentially means this is a non-starter.
(The fact that I haven't been able to locate any ontologies that use DC
properties in this way suggests to me that this is the case.)

e.g. Suppose I have an ontology in which I want to represent the
"was-created-by" relation between an instance of a class Document, and
an instance of a class Agent. This is exactly the relation described by
the Dublin Core creator property (dc:creator). Can I use dc:creator as
an owl:ObjectProperty (and constrain the range of dc:creator using
owl:allValuesFrom)? Or must I use a quite distinct ObjectProperty?

Thanks
Pete
-------
Pete Johnston
Research Officer (Interoperability)
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
tel: +44 (0)1225 383619    fax: +44 (0)1225 386838
mailto:p.johnston@ukoln.ac.uk
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/p.johnston/