Re: Properties of Resources that Need More than One URI to be Identified

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:57:27 +0000
To: "James Cerra" <jimbobbs@hotmail.com>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org

I'm going to ignore the vagaries of the file: scheme, and try and respond
more directly.

1.  If the only way you know of identifying a resource is by the
conjunction of two related values, then RDF has perfectly respectable way
to do this:

(Using Notation3):

   _:f a :File ;
       :localName <file:///path/name> ;
       :hostLocation :some_URI_used_to_represent_a_host_location .

This is the sort of approach that I understand underlies Guha's "reference
by description" work [1].

2.  The fact that the only way *you* may have of identifying a resource is
by using two values doesn't mean that it's not possible to mint a new URI
for every resource thus described.  Here's how I do it:  given any two
URIs, u1 and u2, I construct a new URI:

where 'uuu1' and 'uuu2' are the uris u1 and u2 with some escaping applied
as needed to make the whole URI valid and unique with respect to u1 and u2.

I don't claim this is useful, just possible.

[1] http://tap.stanford.edu/tap/rbd.html

At 17:57 10/11/03 -0500, James Cerra wrote:

>One basic premise of RDF is that any non-anonymous resource can be
>identified by a URI.  But what if that wasn't true?  What if there was a
>resource that needed _two URIs_ for it to be identified?  In this case,
>each URI, in the context of itself, could describe something completely
>different from the thing identified by both URIs!  What would be the
>properties of such a resource?
>For instance, say I wish to identify a file on my computer on another
>(internet and network disabled) computer.  Note that I don't care about
>getting the representation for that file, just identifing it.  I can't
>just use the file: protocol since that is useful only in the context of a
>specific machine.  However, I could use the file: scheme if I also used an
>address: scheme (that latter specifies the location on the Earth of the
>computer) in context.  Order is important, the address: URI wouldn't make
>sense in the context of the file: uri.
>Unfortunately, RDF doesn't seem to handle reosurces that need multiple
>URIs for identification.  This is troubling to me, since I have come
>across other situations where I need more than one (or two!) URIs for a
>concrete identification.  It would be nice; however, if there was a way to
>combine several URIs into one identification string.
>Any suggestions or help?
>-- Jimmy Cerra
>MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays!  Snappier product search...

Graham Klyne
For email: