RE: FW: Engineering Mathematics ontology in OWL (forward from web-ont-wg)

Drew,

Thank you for the links. I will have a look on it.

>You need the OWL Rule Language, or, even better, an embedding of KiF in
OWL.

You are correct on this point. A full port requires to have some rule
languages built on top of OWL (logical layer in semantic stack).
I think this rule language defining operators and functions should be
built on a common model similar to Common List (such as KIF), which
processes lists, provides ability to define custom function such as
defun. It should also leverage existing work in XQuery.

My goal is to implement specific Jena Reasoners that will have some
build-in operators (*,+, string op, list op, spatial operators,..).
Each reasoner may have a mechanism to publish its capability by listing
the supported build-in operators. My goal is to express the query
language fully in RDF, so it is not tied to a speficic query language
(RDQL,Squish, DQL,...).

In a former mail, I sent last Friday (Expression operators and functions
in RDF),  I provided some examples how to express these operators using
RDF List.
Unfortunately, it seems that RDF parse:collection does not support
collections of Literals or mixed of Resource/Literal making the
expression of Operators very ugly to read in RDF/XML syntax
(first/rest).

James Hendler has raised the issue in W3C comments
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0322.htm
l. Unfortunately, this issue has been postponed by the RDF WG (I think
it is mistake)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0544.htm
l . I see RDF List (tuple) as a fundamental buiding block to build
logical language on top of RDF/OWL. I think W3C has not addressed this
use case yet.

>What do you mean by "open source" exactly?  Accessible via CVS?  Lots
of people contributing to it?  Or just publicly available?  I assume
that one could add to the ontology library at www.daml.org.

By open-source, I mean a collaborative work to develop this ontology
using mechanism such as CVS (sort of OWLForge). This is quite a big task
to be handle by one person.

Your comments are welcome.

Best regards

Stephane Fellah