Re: What's the difference? rdf:about, owl:sameIndividualAs

From: Jimmy Cerra <jimbobbs@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 02:55:32 -0400
To: <sgollery805@charter.net>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

Steve,

> As an example: a bank security guard reports a blue van leaving the
> scene of a robbery. Later, a motorist reports being sideswiped by a
blue
> van. Both reports have subjects that are represented by OWL instances.

> Later, it is determined that these subject instances refer to the same

> blue van, so a sameIndividualAs relationship is created between the
two.

I'm a little confused.  Could you show me an example in RDF?

> The way that we foresee using owl:sameIndividualAs in the project I'm
> working on is to describe the relationship between two object
> descriptions (possibly from two different sources) that in fact refer
> a single instance.

That's how I understand using owl:sameIndividualAs as well.  Note: in
OWL Lite and OWL DL that property is restricted to (not
classes/subclasses or properties/subproperties).  Using the properties
outside of the Lite and DL ranges causes the classes/properties being
described to be interpreted as an individual and only OWL Full allows
that.

> I'm not sure if this is a legitimate use of owl:sameIndividualAs (I'm
> sure someone will tell me if it isn't, and correct all my
terminology),
> but if it is, would that relationship be expressible using rdf:about
as
> an attribute?

Depends, show me an example.

--