Re: Modeling Conventions

On Monday, Apr 7, 2003, at 01:09 US/Eastern,
<hagenstonmd@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Are their any practices/techniques used to model ontologies prior to
> markup on par with pseudo code or UML or others?.

Well, only 4 weeks late with a reply....

I have been using a tool called Medius by Sandpiper Software[1], which
is a Rational Rose plug-in.  They have developed scripts and Rose
stereotypes for most of the DAML elements, along with wizards to guide
the development of classes and properties.  The tool includes a DAML
generator, so one can develop a model in Medius and then run a
generation script to produce the DAML.[2]  I find that this is a better
version of my previous personal ontology development workflow, which
was to draw graphical models of the ontologies in ConceptDraw[3] and
then type the DAML code in BBEdit[4].

Medius provides some standard upper-level ontologies and also manages
the user's ontology library so that it is easy to extend or link to
ontologies already represented in the tool.  Unfortunately, Medius
doesn't provide round-trip engineering yet, so the tool itself must be
used to input models for existing ontologies.

One of the things I like about Medius is the use of Rose's diagram
features to produce graphics which can be used to present the ontology
model.

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with Sandpiper except as a user of
their tool.

[1] <http://www.sandsoft.com>
[2] While the tool doesn't produce OWL, there are OWL converters
available.  I have used the converter available from Mindswap
<http://www.mindswap.org/2002/owl.html> to produce OWL from the DAML.
[3] <http://www.conceptdraw.com>.  A tool similar to Visio, with an
advantage that it runs on Macs also.
[4] <http://www.barebones.com>.