Re: Why isn't FunctionalProperty a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty?

Peter,

At 09:06 AM 3/5/2003 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>From: Bob MacGregor <macgregor@ISI.EDU>
>Subject: RE: Why isn't FunctionalProperty a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty?
>Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:18:55 -0800
>

> > GreaterThan is a transitive Datatype Property.
> > Equals is a symmetric Datatype Property.
>
>Well, neither of these make much sense in OWL DL, domains and ranges of OWL
>DL datatype properties are disjoint of necessity.
>
>They even don't have much utility in RDF, as you can't state any facts
>about such properties, as literals can't be the subject of triples.
>
>peter

I hope you are wrong at some level.  This is really basic, and
it OWL can't do it, then we really are in a sorry state.

I ought to be able to allocate a resource (a blank node) representing
John's age, and another representing Fred's age, and then assert that
John's age is greater than Fred's age:

      :age :John :_b1 .
      :age :Fred :_b2 .
      :_b1 :greaterThan :_b2 .

Are you claiming that

       :greaterThan :domain :Integer.
       :greaterThan :range :Integer.

are illegal triples?  If not, then why are my first three triples not
allowable?

Bob

Robert MacGregor
Project Leader
USC Information Sciences Institute
4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292
macgregor@isi.edu
Phone: 310/448-8423, Fax: 310/822-6592
Mobile: 310/251-8488