Re: Why isn't FunctionalProperty a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty?

From: Bob MacGregor <macgregor@ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:36:29 -0800
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

At 09:06 AM 3/5/2003 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>From: Bob MacGregor <macgregor@ISI.EDU>
>Subject: RE: Why isn't FunctionalProperty a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty?
>Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:18:55 -0800
> >
> > GreaterThan is a transitive Datatype Property.
> > Equals is a symmetric Datatype Property.
>Well, neither of these make much sense in OWL DL, domains and ranges of OWL
>DL datatype properties are disjoint of necessity.
>They even don't have much utility in RDF, as you can't state any facts
>about such properties, as literals can't be the subject of triples.

I hope you are wrong at some level.  This is really basic, and
it OWL can't do it, then we really are in a sorry state.

I ought to be able to allocate a resource (a blank node) representing
John's age, and another representing Fred's age, and then assert that
John's age is greater than Fred's age:

      :age :John :_b1 .
      :age :Fred :_b2 .
      :_b1 :greaterThan :_b2 .

Are you claiming that

       :greaterThan :domain :Integer.
       :greaterThan :range :Integer.

are illegal triples?  If not, then why are my first three triples not

Robert MacGregor
Project Leader
USC Information Sciences Institute
4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Phone: 310/448-8423, Fax: 310/822-6592
Mobile: 310/251-8488