RE: Entailment / Datalog Complete, Sound, Terminating / English Reasoning

From: Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:22:39 +0200
To: "Adrian Walker" <adrianw@snet.net>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

  Hi All --

  I was surprised to learn that RDF reasoning appears to be very restricted,
as in:

  RDF is but one layer of the cake. Check out the OWL and DAML/OIL material,
and specially (in the context of services) DAML-S.

  There's a rather formal paper about this: Backchain Iteration: Towards a
Practical Inference Method that is Simple Enough to be Proved Terminating,
Sound and Complete.  Journal of Automated Reasoning, 11:1-22, 1993.  (Yes,
these results have been around for a while !)

  Sounds mighty interesting - is there a copy available online anywhere?
(1993? pah! I' ve been working on stuff developed around 1973 all week ;-)

  Cheers,
  Danny.