reference needed

From: Steven Gollery <sgollery@cadrc.calpoly.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:29:07 -0700
To: www-rdf-logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

I've been trying to find a reference to an issue that I read about a few
weeks ago and now can't remember where I saw it. The situation goes like
this:

Suppose we want to represent a real world object with a URL. We put a
web page at that URL describing the object. Now, when we make statements
in RDF (or DAML, or OWL) with that URL as the subject or object, there
is a potential confustion about whether the statement is about the web
page or about the object that the web page describes. For instance: if a
web page describes a particular copy of "War and Peace" and we have an
RDF statement that the author of
"http://www.mybook.net/WarAndPeace.html" is "Leo Tolstoy", does that
mean that he wrote the book, or the web page?

This is apparently a topic that has received thorough discussion, and
even has a name, so I don't want to talk about it here. I'm just hoping
someone can point me to a paper or something that covers this topic.Or
just the name of the topic would be enough to start with.

Thanks,

Steven Gollery
sgollery@cadrc.calpoly.edu