Re: Blank Node Equality Question

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:37:36 -0400
To: Jimmy <jimbobbs@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

* Jimmy <jimbobbs@hotmail.com> [2003-07-20 21:02-0400]

> If I have two blank nodes - each connected to identical nodes via
> identical predicates - then do the two nodes share the same properties?
> I.E.  Any inferences made about one node are true for the other node.

If one of those predicates is an owl:InverseFunctionalProperty, then
they should represent the same entity. Otherwise, you often have no way of
being sure, since any RDF/XML graph is only a partial view of the
picture, there may be other triples to be had which would be consistent
with the existing data but which makes clear that the bNodes stand for
different things.

You could describe two twins, for example, by connecting two bNodes to
a bunch of nodes (mother, father, cityOfBirth, dateOfBirth, gender etc)
which didn't indicate any difference between them.

Dan