RE: ontology, database, OOP, Semantic Web

From: Leo Sauermann <leo@gnowsis.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:23:54 +0100
To: "'Yongchun Gao'" <yongchun.gao@mail.mcgill.ca>, "'www-rdf-interest'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "'Www-Rdf-Logic'" <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, <public-webont-comments@w3.org>

Hello Yongchun,

> I did not see much material that talks about the relation among
ontology, >database, and OOP (object oriented programming). But I want
to say some idea that I am thinking recently to share with you all, and
of course any comment is welcome.

perhaps this is interesting for you:
[Bek2003] Dave Beckett, Jan Grant, "SWAD-Europe Deliverable 10.2:
Mapping Semantic Web Data with RDBMSes",
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/scalable_rdbms_mapping_report/

especially
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/scalable_rdbms_mapping_report/#
sec-mapping

If you follow this trail, you might find other stuff that is related to
them, perhaps someone quotes it or the like ...

> The Semantic Web is based on the current web. Does this mean that
Semantic Web will run on HTTP too?

Hm, there is much fuss about this.
Checkout Uriqa
http://sw.nokia.com/
And Joseki
http://www.hpl.hp.com/semweb/joseki.htm
and Sesame
http://sesame.aidministrator.nl/

for Semantic Web Server interfaces.

A good example how Semantic Web exists is RSS:
www.syndic8.com

thousands of RSS streams, I have "trillian" and watch them. This is
typical SemWeb stuff.

hth a little

Leo Sauermann
www.gnowsis.com