Re: owl:Restriction

From: "Gary Ng" <Gary.Ng@networkinference.com>
Subject: owl:Restriction
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:04:48 +0100

> Hi all,
>
> I am confused as to whether the following piece of OWL is valid:
>
> <owl:Restriction>
>   <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#callThemselves" />
>   <owl:hasValue   rdf:datatype="&xsd;string">Human</owl:hasValue>
>   <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#HomoSapien"/>
> </owl:Restriction>
>
> It does not violate the definition of owl restriction, as it has exactly
> one onProperty, and exactly one value constraint.
>
> I believe this is valid (albeit unconventional) as owl:Restriction is a
> "subclass" of owl:Class. The normative RDF Schema for owl seems to
> suggest that anything that can appear within owl:Class can certainly
> appear in owl:Restriction in the RDF XML format. (e.g. the rdfs:domain
> for intersectionOf is a Class).
>
> Please yell if I am totally wrong. If it is invalid, we need to make
> sure our tools do not export this form.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gary
>

> Gary Ng, PhD 	     gary.ng@networkinference.com
> Senior Software Engineer
> Network Inference (Holdings) Ltd
> Tel: +44 (0) 20 7616 0717 Fax: +44 (0) 20 7616 0701

This is legal OWL Full, and might even mean what you think that it
means.  However, it is not legal OWL DL, because there is no way to have
extras properties on restrictions in OWL DL.

peter

PS:  The meaning of this is that if something has a callThemselves
property value of "Human" then it is a HomoSapien.