Re: More Approaches to Avoiding Paradox with Asserted Reifications

Hi Sandro,

I am glad you is addressing this issue.
I tried to raise early on this email list
and at the first DAML PI meetings January last year,
but apart from Pat Hayes nobody seemed to bite.

The problem affacts not only negation,
but also "syntactic modality"
which is how I imagine modality (beliefs knowledge etc)
would be handled in RDF, ie by first order predicates
over reified formulae.

I believe that RDF is more of aculprit than you think.
In languages with linear syntax you need
a fixpoint operator in order to construct a cyclic
reified sentence and hence a paradox.
Such power usually comes from recursive arithmetic
or the lambda calculus.
RDF seems to give you cyclic sentences essentially for free.

Of the approaches you suggest
Stratification and paraconsistent logic are the most promissing.
[I think you have covered all the plausible options,
only note that the main variant of paraconsistent logic
is relevant logic as studied by Anderson and Blenap in "Entailment"
and of which linear logic an instance]
Standard intuitionistic logic does not help,
since the problem is not excluded middle
but reductio ad absurdum, which is a valid principle
of intuitionistic logic.
However it is precisely the principle
rjected by paraconsistent/relevant logics.
There are of course relevant intuitionistic logics
but it is the relevance bit that address the issue you are dealing
with.

I think you a are right to be concerned about the viability
of moving negation to the meta-level somehow (ie option 4).
I think this this will suffer from the same problems
as syntactic modality.
The general scope of this problem
was discussed by Montague.
There is also a very detailed discusion of the issues in
Raymond Turner's "Truth and Modality for Knowledge Representation"
book. The upshot is that only fairly weak operators
can be handled consistently using predicates
over reified sentences.

Quine's stratified approach is called NF,
and although it has never been proved consistent,
a fairly powerfull variant called NFU has.
The web resource for NF/NFU related systems is

http://math.boisestate.edu/~holmes/holmes/nf.html

Note that in NF/NFU the stratification
is with respect to the use of the set abstraction algorithm,
not negation or reification.
That, however, does not change the fact that
stratification is a good idea here.

Good luck