Re: (SeWeb) KAON - KArlsruhe ONtology and Semantic Web Infrastructure

>I agree with you.
>If there is no common tool to build ontology,
>how do we build a common ontology?

Well, apply that reasoning to other kinds of buildings. You might use
an 18-oz framing hammer and I might use a pneumatic nail gun, but we
can still frame a house together.

Of course the entire planet will not use the same tools (I sincerely
hope, anyway, although Bill Gates might feel differently). Surely the
question to ask is, whether the ontologies built by the tools can
interact and be used together, not whether we must all use the same
tools. Personally, I rejoice that there are many tools. I would like
there to be millions of tools.

Pat Hayes

>Jack
>
>"John F. Sowa" wrote:
>>
>>  I looked at the KAON web site and some of the material there,
>>  and I am happy that it is an open-source project based on Java.
>>  But I had a question about why KAON is independent from other
>>  open-source, Java-based projects for ontology editing and
>>  development.
>>
>>  I don't want to start an argument about why one system might be
>>  better or worse than another, especially since I am not at the
>>  moment using any of them.  But since I am working with ontologies,
>>  I would like to consider using some such system and/or recommending
>>  it to my colleagues.  I would like to know why there are so many
>>  systems available that are being developed independently by different
>>  groups.
>>
>>  For example, the Protege project at Stanford is also an open-source
>>  Java-based ontology editor and development platform:
>>
>>      http://protege.stanford.edu/index.html
>>
>>  I have also looked at that system, but I have not used it either.
>>  But it is also available as an open-source project, and I have seen
>>  demos and examples of other development platforms that are being
>>  developed on top of various platforms, including Java.
>>
>>  Why are all these groups working on independent tools for ontology
>  > instead of collaborating to build common tools that everyone could
>  > use?
>  >
>  > John Sowa

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell