RE: Open world assumption reference

From: Dickinson, Ian J <Ian.Dickinson@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:29:38 -0000
To: "'Jim Hendler'" <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

Jim Hendler [mailto:hendler@cs.umd.edu] wrote:
> Jeremy, if you're looking for something more of a textbook (including
> examples and code) I would suggest Forbus and DeKleers "Building
> Problem Solvers" [1] It doesn't go as deep into the logic stuff, but
> it does have a lot about how to use it and deal with the problems
> that might come up in real logic-based reasoners - as they say
My recollection of this book is that it depends very heavily on program
samples in Lisp, and the authors are clearly very competent Lisp programmers
(where competent = use a lot of Lisp's quirky-but-powerful features).  I can
read Lisp reasonably well (though I'm more of a Prolog-er by taste :-), but
I recall struggling to understand some of their presentation.

Richard Waldinger [waldinge@kestrel.edu] wrote:
> there used to be a book "logic for artificial
> intelligence" by raymond turner
> that has some of that sort of stuff.  i haven't read it.
I know at least one logician who is pretty damning about the number of
errors in this book.  Caveat lector.

Cheers,
Ian