Re: help wanted: RDF issue rdfms-assertion

I would expect that the claimed meaning of a URI that is supported by a
community of practice (e.g. one defined by W3C) would carry more legal
weight than one used by a single individual (e.g. a web trader's private
definition).

(+usual disclaimer about not being a lawyer)

[Hmmm: where does this discussion belong?  It's surely not logic, and only
weakly related to RDFcore, I think.  I've copied rdf-logic because that's
where the participants seem to be living.]

#g

At 05:46 PM 5/29/02 -0400, Lynn Andrea Stein wrote:
>Yes, but the difference is that in "normal" parlance terms are defined by
>communities of practice.  (One can argue about what the community uses a
>term to mean, or about what community the term was used with respect to,
>but there's no one definitive source for THE MEANING of the term other
>than the community.)  In contrast, you have suggested that authority to
>define the meaning of an RDF predicate IN FACT vests with the owner of the
>URL.

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>