Re: rdf inclusion

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:02:46 -0500
To: "R.V.Guha" <guha@guha.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

>   As far as I understand, contexts/microtheories and argumentation
>are two examples of CycL features that add something to the
>semantics and are not just efficiency hacks.

OK, OK, I forgot about contexts. I don't think much of contexts in
any case, as you know. The argumentation stuff seems to be an
inference strategy rather than a different logic, though: it *uses*
first-order reasoning, doesn't it?

But to get back to the point, what makes CYC 'extensible' , whatever
its logic is ??

>patrick hayes wrote:
>>>Come on Pat. You know better! CycL is way more than that ... Its
>>>the kitchen sink of a large scale cafeteria plus
>>>many other things thrown into it, discussion of which is probably
>>>neither apropos for this mailing list or for polite company ;-)
>>As far as I know, it is not *way* more than that. It has many
>>pieces of specialized inference machinery, but most of them perform
>>first-order valid inferences, I believe, albeit perhaps by
>>nonstandard (and very fast) methods. I realize it has some
>>technically non-first-order things built into it involving fixpoint
>>semantics, but I bet they could all be transcribed into KIF using
>>row quantifiers. And none of it is 'extensible' in any useful
>>sense, as far as I know.  Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax