Re: rdf inclusion

patrick hayes wrote:

> No doubt the inventors of RDF did not intend to impose global
> consistency; such an ambition is obviously slightly insane. However,
> as a matter of fact, this insane assumption is built into the very
> architecture of RDF as it exists. RDF provides no way to make any
> other assumptions. It provides no way to agree or disagree, no way to
> define, no way to negotiate, no way even to question, any content. It
> only provides a simple way to make elementary assertions using a
> global vocabulary. It is obvious that this will not work unless there
> is some global coherence to the assertions made using the global
> vocabulary, unless there is some way to negotiate content and handle
> contradictions.

Pat,

  You seem to be making the assumption that a processing agent somehow
has a "global" view of all the data on
the SW. There is an alternate view, one I would argue is the only one
which makes sense, i.e., that at any time,
any particular agent can only see small windows of this giant net. It is
not unlike the web, where no one has
ever seen the entire web  (no, not even google). Different agents, see
small parts of it. And hopefully, these
small parts will be internally consistent (yes, yes, rdf doesn't deal
with the last part, but that is not the point of this
message).

guha