Re: Mapping of DAML+OIL onto DB

At 11:33 AM -0800 3/29/02, Chris Mungall wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is mapping via XML the best way? What about going straight to an RDF-db
>mapping?
>
>I've had fairly negative experiences of OO-RDBMS mappings.
>
>What about datalog - e.g. something like TRIPLE with XSB using a database
>backend?

I suggest that you look at Jeff Heflin's doctoral thesis (Towards the
Semantic Web: Knowledge Representation in a Dynamic, Distributed
Environment [1]) which backed the SHOE language with two different
DBs - one was XSB, the other was Parka-DB [2].  Parka-DB is the
current winner in putting an ontology into a relational DB (with
respect to scaling and having some built in inferencing), and we are
working on solving some licensing problems so that we can release it
in some open source forum.
  -Jim Hendler

[1] http://www.cs.umd.edu/~heflin/dissert/
[2] http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/Parka/parka-db.html
AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler