Re: properties as nodes etc.

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:20:21 -0400
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

[Danny Ayers]

> could currently be broken down something like :
> [sat on] --[subclass]--> [sat on for an hour]
> [the cat] --[sat on for an hour]--> [the mat]
> [sat on for an hour] --[cardinality]--> [1]
> but it seems less clunky to say :
> [sat on for an hour] --[instanceOf]--> [sat on]
> [the cat] --[sat on for an hour]--> [the mat]
> but then is [sat on] in the first figure really an arc?
> hey-ho ;-)

With Conceptual Graphs, you would say something like

    [the cat] ->(sat on)->[the mat]

To do this in RDF you would have to be able to refer to a triple as a
resource.  Now since a resource can be anything identified by a URI, if we
could figure out a way to identify a triple with a URI we'd be all set.

Back to that again.

Can't there be a predicate isAnAsserted, and another resource class called
Triple?  I.e.,

This might be rather awkward unless a shortcut syntax were adopted, but
conceptually, why not?  Older software that did not understand the predicate
would just construct a triple, which would not be harmful, but newer
software could do something useful with it.

If we are not going to allow identification of actual triples, this approach
ought work.

Tom P