Re: properties as nodes etc.

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:11:32 -0400
To: "Danny Ayers" <danny666@virgilio.it>, <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

Danny Ayers wrote:

> >Well I'm certainly not a MT authority here.  It seems to me that an arc
> >cannot be an object (in an OO sense and also in a RDF sense) unless it
has
> >some kind of identity ... yet the RDF MT gives it none.  Of course in
your
> >application there is nothing to prevent you from going outside of RDF
> >specifications and providing any kind of identity you like for your arcs.
>
> Doesn't RDFS does give it an identity though - Property subClass of
> Resource?

In RDF an edge corresponds not to the property or predicate URI but rather
to the triple itself. Many edges may share the same predicate, so the
predicate URI does not 'point' to or identify the edge itself.

> What I've got at the moment is something like this :
>
>    Identifiable (Temporal, Described)
>       Item
>    /   |   \
> Vertex Edge (Adjunct)
>
> Identifiable more or less corresponds to URI

This is the problem, an "edge" is not a URI as opposed to vertices which are
named by URIs.

Jonathan